This privacy notice explains our practices, your choices regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of certain information, including your personal information, by Calm Island (“https://www.calmid.com”).
The print and electronic publications published by Badanamu which is owned by Calm Island, websites related to Our Publications and Our Events (“https://www.badanamu.com”) and email newsletters related to Our Publications (“Badanamu Club”).
If you have general questions about your account or how to contact customer service for assistance, as well as questions specifically about this privacy notice or our use of your personal information, cookies or similar technology, please contact our Data Protection Officer, Ethan, HeeSeob Jeong, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To access or change your personal information, or for any matters pertaining to privacy of personal information, please contact Badanamu:
CALM ISLAND CO., LTD.
14th Fl., Cheongdam Square,
420 Dosan-daero, Gangnam-gu,
Seoul 06062 Korea
The data controller of your personal information is Calm Island. Please note that if you contact us to assist you, for your safety and ours, we may need to authenticate your identity before fulfilling your request.
Collection of Information
We receive and store information about you, such as:
- Information provided by the user: We collect information you provide to us, which includes:
- Name, email, gender, birth date, ID, password, telephone number, country, nationality, language, IMEI, IP address (IP location), Connection Information (CI), Duplication Information (DI), payment method(s), etc. For minors, the above information regarding their legal representative (name, date of birth, CI, DI, etc. of the legal representative)
- Information provided by Partners: Calm Island receives information from other companies with which its members have made a contract (hereinafter referred to as the “Partners”). The Partners include all companies furnishing the Learning Lab services, such as Learning Park,
- Information from other sources: Calm Island also obtains information from other sources. Calm Island protects this information according to the practices described in this privacy notice, plus any additional restrictions imposed by the source of the data. These sources vary over time, but may include:
- Payment service providers who provide Calm Island with payment information, or updates to that information, based on their relationship with the company
Personal information collected from Our Website is always collected on a secure web server using 2048-bit encryption.
Personal information is safeguarded on Badanamu’s servers. Access to the personal information on Badanamu’s servers is protected by the use of a security system, a firewall, passwords, and in some cases encryption.
A recipient may, at any time, opt out of receiving any of Our Email Newsletters or emails from Badanamu which inform about new products, services or information related to the industry by so indicating at the time that information is being given to Badanamu, or thereafter, by following the simple steps stated in any such Badanamu email received.
An individual may also deny permission or opt out of any previous permission given for Badanamu to share address information with carefully screened third-party organizations by so indicating at the time that information is being given to Badanamu, or by contacting Badanamu’s privacy officer (at the address shown above).
Disclosure of Information
We disclose your information for certain purposes to third parties, as described below:
- Service Providers: We use other companies, agents or contractors (“Service Providers”) to perform services on our behalf or to assist us with the provision of services. For example, we engage Service Providers to provide marketing, advertising, communications, infrastructure and IT services, personalize and optimize our service, process credit card transactions or other payment methods, provide customer service, collect debts, analyze and enhance data (including data about users’ interactions with our service), and process and administer consumer surveys. In the course of providing such services, these Service Providers may have access to your personal or other information. We do not authorize them to use or disclose your personal information except in regards to providing their services.
- Partners: Users may have a contract with one or more of our Partners, in which case we may share certain information to coordinate on providing our services, and information regarding them, to members. For example, depending on what Partner services you use, we may share information:
- – In order to facilitate Partners’ collection and distribution of payment to Calm Island
- – With Partners who operate voice assistant platforms that allow you to interact with our service using voice commands
- – So that content and features available in the Calm Island service can be suggested to you in the Partner’s user interface. For members, these suggestions are part of the Calm Island service and may include customized and personalized viewing recommendations
- – Such as pictures of the learner (child) that Partners provide to teachers for the Social Feed service
- Promotional offers: We may offer joint promotions or programs that, in order for your participation, will require us to share your information with third parties. In the process, we may share your name and other information in order to provide the promotional offers. Please note that these third parties are responsible for their own privacy practices.
- Business transfers: With any reorganization, restructuring, mergers or sales, or other transfer of assets, we will transfer information, including personal information, provided that the receiving party agrees to respect your personal information in a manner that is consistent with our privacy statement.
Whenever in the course of sharing information we transfer personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area and other regions with comprehensive data protection laws, we will ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this privacy notice and as permitted by the applicable laws on data protection. Personal information transferred (such as name and contact information) may be saved electronically on servers operated by our Service Providers for record keeping purposes and other purposes as set out in this privacy notice.
Overseas Transfer of Data
Calm Island can disclose users’ personal information to companies located in other countries for any purpose specified in this notice. Calm Island will take reasonable protection measures to ensure safety when handling data with the companies where information is transmitted, retained or processed. Calm Island discloses users’ personal information in accordance with documents including standard clauses of personal data protection approved or adopted by the recipient of personal data or the European Committee (under GDPR 46).
Grounds for Processing
The GDPR requires that companies processing the personal data of EU users do so on the basis of specific legal grounds. As described below, Badanamu processes the information of EU users based on one or more of the grounds specified under the GDPR:
- a) The processing is necessary to provide the services and features you request.
Badanamu must collect and use certain information in order to provide its services. This includes:
- i)User profile information that is necessary to establish and maintain your account, including to verify your identity to enable communications with you about your event registration or subscription, orders and accounts and/or to enable you to make payments.
- ii)Transaction information that is necessary to generate and maintain in connection with your use of Badanamu’s services.
- b) The processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of our users or of others.
Badanamu may process personal information, including disclosing data with law enforcement authorities in case of threats to the safety of users or of others.
- c) The processing is necessary for Badanamu’s legitimate interests.
Badanamu collects and uses personal information to the extent necessary for its legitimate interests. This includes collecting and using information:
. i) to provide customer support
- ii) to optimize our service and develop new services
- iii) for direct marketing purposes. (This includes, for example, analyzing data to identify trends and tailor marketing messages to user needs.)
iii. iv)To enforce Badanamu’s Terms of Service.
- d) The processing is necessary to fulfill Badanamu’s legal obligations.
Badanamu is subject to legal requirements in the jurisdictions in which it operates that require us to collect, process, disclose and retain your personal data.
- e) Consent
Badanamu may collect and use your information on the basis of your consent. You may revoke your consent at any time. If you revoke your consent, you will not be able to use any service or feature that requires collection or use of the information we collected or used on the basis of consent.
Badanamu relies on consent in connection with data collections or uses that are necessary to enhance the user experience, to enable optional services or features, or to communicate with you. If you are an EU user, the following types of data collections or uses are done on the basis of your consent.
Print sales emails
Delegate news emails for events
Badanamu may also collect personal information about you through voluntary surveys. Your responses to such surveys are collected on the basis of consent, and will be deleted once no longer necessary for the purposes collected.
Users or their legal representatives, as main agents of the information, can exercise the following rights regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal information by Calm Island:
- The right to access by the data subject (under GDPR 15);
- The right to rectification and (under GDPR 16)
- The right to erasure (under GDPR 17)
- The right to restriction of processing (under GDPR 18)
- The right to data portability (under GDPR 20)
- The right to object (under GDPR 21)
- The right not to be subject to automated individual decision-making, including profiling (under GDPR 22)
- The right to request the withdrawal of prior consent (under GDPR 7(3))
If, in order to exercise any of the foregoing rights, a user contacts Calm Island (or the data protection officer) through the account or user information portion of the website, in writing, or by email or phone, Calm Island will immediately take action accordingly, provided that Calm Island may reject such request if, and to the extent, there are reasonable grounds prescribed in law or equivalent thereto.
Also, the users or their legal representatives have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority (under GDPR 13(2), GDPR 14(2)(e)).
In principle, Calm Island does not collect any information from children under 13 or those considered to be below of age under law. However, if Calm Island collects any personal information of children under 13 or those considered to be below of age under relevant law for the services provided by Calm Island, including without limitation the Learning Lab, KidsLoop, various application services and Social Feed services. It will comply with the following procedures for the protection of children’s personal information (under GDPR 8):
- To verify if a child is subject to the guardian’s consent and such guardian is authorized, within the scope of reasonable efforts
- To have consent from a child’s parent or guardian to collect the child’s personal information or to provide the child with product information and Calm Island’s services directly
- To notify parents or the guardian of Calm Island’s privacy notice for children, including the items, purpose and disclosure of collected personal information
- To grant a child’s legal representative the right to access, correct, delete, or temporarily suspend the processing of the child’s personal information or the right to withdraw the prior consent of the representative
- To limit the collection of personal information to the extent solely required for participation in online activities
Calm Island will keep personal information in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which personal data is processed. Once this time period has expired, Calm Island will delete personal information within one year from the expiration. Personal data may be stored for longer periods insofar as the personal data is processed solely for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes, or statistical purposes subject to implementation of the appropriate technical and organisational measures required by this regulation in order to safeguard the rights and freedom of the data subject (under GDPR 5(1)(e)).
Modification of Privacy Notice
Calm Island has the right to amend or modify this privacy notice from time to time, in which case, Calm Island will make a public notice through the website (or through individual notice in writing or by fax or email) and obtain consent from the users when required by relevant laws.
Cookies and Internet Advertising
Calm Island may collect collective and impersonal information through cookies or web beacons.
Cookies are substantially small text files sent to the users’ browser by the server used for the operation of the Calm Island’s websites and are stored in hard-disks of the users’ computers.
Web beacons are a small quantity of code which exists on websites and email. By using web beacons, we can identify whether a user has interacted with certain websites or contents of email.
These functions are used for evaluating, improving services and customizing user experience so that Calm Island can provide enhanced service to users.
Cookies collected by Calm Island and the purpose of such collection are as follows:
- Required cookies: These are necessary for users to use the functions of Calm Island’s website. No services, such as shopping cart or electronic bill payment, can be provided for a user unless he or she accepts these cookies. These cookies do not collect any information which can be used for marketing purposes, nor do they store the sites that users have visited.
- To retain the information entered in an order form while searching other webpages during the web browser session
- To retain information regarding purchased services within the product and checkout webpages
- To verify whether a user logs in to the website
- To ensure that a user is connected to the correct service on Calm Island’s website if Calm Island makes any changes in the operation of the Calm Island website
- To connect users to certain applications or the server of the services
- Performance cookies: These collect information of how the users use Calm Island’s website, such as webpages most frequently visited by the users. Such data helps Calm Island optimize its website so that the users can search more conveniently. Such cookies do not collect any information regarding users’ identification. All or any information collected by performance cookies is anonymous since the information is collectively processed.
- Web analysis: to provide statistical data on how the website is used
- Advertisement response: to confirm the effect of Calm Island’s advertisement
- Tracing affiliates: to provide Calm Island’s affiliates with feedback of anonymous information that one of the visitors of Calm Island’s website has visited an affiliate’s website
- Error management: to identify errors which have occurred in order to improve Calm Island’s website
- Design testing: to test other designs of Calm Island’s website
- Functionality cookies: These are used to store configurations so as to provide services and improve user experience. No information collected by these cookies identifies individual users.
- To store changed configurations such as layout, text size, colors
- To store surveys conducted by Calm Island and completed by the users
- Target cookies: These are connected with services provided by third parties such as the buttons for ‘likes’ and ‘share’. The third party recognizes the users’ visit to Calm Island’s website to provide such services.
- To allow social network connected to such cookies to use the users’ visit information, thus placing advertisements targeting the users
- To provide the users’ visit information for advertisement agencies so that the agencies can suggest tailored ads which can attract the interest of the users
The users have options for enabling cookies: accepting all cookies, confirming whenever a cookie is saved, or refusing the storage of all cookies. However, such refusal by a user may result in limited access to parts of Calm Island’s services.
The latest update date: (2020-01-09)